5 Hula Hoop Dance Tips from Professional Hoop Dancers
Have you ever had one of those “smack your forehead” moments where you said, “I wish I knew this a year ago!?”
I know I have! So I asked my Hoop Teacher Training Graduates for hula hoop dance tips they wish they knew one year ago. Here they are:
1) This tip is from Sequioa Kennedy: “Teach more tricks in your hula hoop dance class in order to get more people interested in your classes. Having a structured class is so important!”
2) Colleen Bell has a hoop dance tip that I can vouch for: “Passion Sells! Being able to speak confidently and passionately about hoop dancing has helped me sell more classes than anything else.”
3) Danielle Frauenhofer’s tip is sure to be a game changer for your hoop dance classes: “Recently, I taught a class at my local art center and only two girls signed up. For the second session, the class closed because no one signed up! The advertising that the center had going on just wasn’t enough, and in hindsight I remember wishing I had put some of my own posters up and done my own advertising for the class. I was disappointed in myself that I hadn’t thought to hustle from the get-go because I wasn’t even given a second chance. If the art center decides to offer my class again I will definitely be doing a bit of my own advertising in my town and surrounding areas. Something simple like a poster to hang in local store fronts. I believe there is a great potential for this class in this area, but I don’t think enough people knew it was going on.”
4) This tip from Kelsey Philo: ” Real, authentic progress takes way longer than you think it will (think years, not months), but that time will also pass faster than you think it will and all that practice will be worth it in the end. A little work every day goes so incredibly far. We all get frustrated and want to be better/faster/stronger immediately. Patience and practice makes all the difference.” You can find Kelsey at Kelsey Hoops.
5) This last tip from me applies to everything including hoop dance: Learn at least one new thing every day. Never assume you know it all or you will stagnate. Learning = Progress.
I had a vision of this gorgeous hooping dance video I would create at the river where we spread Ziggy’s ashes in Feb 2016.
I spent a few hours walking around trying to hang my camera on different branches because Chad (my husband and usual camera man) is out of town with our tripod. I couldn’t get the right angle or the camera would fall off or the only view I could get was of rocks.
Disappointed, I tried to film in my backyard which is full of mole holes and on an angle and I kept slipping and sliding and then it got dark outside.
I couldn’t bring my hoop dance vision to life outdoors without assistance, so I filmed this in our living room which has fake blood all over the walls for Halloween, and terrible lighting, and of course I nailed almost everything inside (while outside was a total mess) despite taking about eight months off from hoop dance practice. The fake blood kind of goes with the song. I love this song and this movie.
I do not own the rights to this song. If I did, I would film in a real studio. 😉